We need to always remember that if we're being brought in on a project
already in progress, we're probably being brought into a messed-up project
that is failing -- behind schedule, overbudget, unworkable, and in crisis.
Otherwise they wouldn't need us. They've already demonstrated their manifold
failures and now add to them by having fantasies about how we'll be able to
fix the whole ball of mud overnight.

I love Kieren's characterization of "a back street bedroom 'I can do that'
wannabee". It seems exactly right. It only lacks that they've indulged in
another fantasy that they can have the website of their dreams while paying
someone next to nothing.

James also gets it right that often brokers want to believe that they have
these miracle workers at their beck and call who can make silk purses out of
sows' ears on a daily basis, earning them money for almost no work on their
part, especially their having to spend time to understand what's actually
going on. Heaven help the person who in any way interferes with their
cashflow.