On 2009/07/02 15:20 (GMT-0400) Rick Faircloth composed:

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> Zoom, minimum text size and magnifiers are defense mechanisms. The basic
>>  problem is the pervasive offense - not respecting users' font size
>> choices by incorporating them at 100% for the bulk of content. Thus, an
>> even better way to address presbyopia is to design to make defenses
>> unnecessary in the first place.

>>> It's rather difficult to overstate the issue when over the course of time,
>>> presbyopia is pretty much 100 percent universal within the human
>>> population.

> But how will you magnify the images and layout as designed for me to view?

Respectful design obviates the need.

> Addressing font issues is only the absolute basic attempt to make the web
> more accessible...It's important to be able to see "how" something is
> said and with what supporting content and context, rather than just "what"
> is said.

It certainly is important to be able to see. Thus, you're creating the
handicap that needs the defense mechanism when you make it harder to see by
sizing text smaller than the visitor's preference. With the exception of
background images, other objects besides the text when sized with reference
to the text size automatically adjusted as necessary. Context is thus
preserved - automatically, by the web browser.

> Focusing on font-size is quite an antiquated, limited view of
> accessiblity.

It's the foundational starting point from which everything else can and
_should_ be referenced. The visitor has presumptively set that point before
reaching any web site, and it can work well if the designer/coder accepts
whatever that may happen to be. The designer/coder does that by dispensing
with the px unit for sizing, replacing it with the visitor's preset point of
reference: the em unit.

> Magnification of entire monitor screens (not just decreasing resolution),
> and browser magnification address all the issues, and in a very satisfying
> and simple manner, rather than asking/requiring web designers/developers
> to spend countless hours trying to code around the issues.

By dispensing with the impossible to achieve goal of pixel perfection, and
using em instead of px to size, the only thing to work around is how to size
background images. That is often very easily worked around by simply not
using background images.
--
No Jesus - No peace , Know Jesus -  Know Peace

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/