sine qua non also means "most basic" - yes, it is the most critical aspect
of accessibility
to information, if the information is contained in textual form, but it is
only the most
primal level of accessibility to be offered.

New techniques, well not actually new, but finally unleashed legally, are
being deployed
which will allow designers to use any font desired and I'm not so sure that
end users will
have much control over the display of those fonts embedded in the site.
Those font/design
techniques, I believe, will dominate web design and could soon make all
discussion of
font manipulation a mute point, which will drive us towards other solutions,
such as whole
browser magnification, etc.