Thanks to people who have commented via blog and email.

If nothing else I think I have sparked up a healthy debate about
accessibility whether I am right or wrong.

I will try and reply directly to remarks made by various individuals:

@Paul Novitski Harsh wording Sir. That's all I can say. As a UXD
working on 12 million target user Government portal the only thing I
can try and be is broad, emphatic and deep, but I also develop apps in
my own spare time and have a wife and child to feed and maybe live a
bit of life in spare minutes. In first instance 'full accessibility'
is a must. In second, it might not be. That's my point. Where can I
read your masterpieces and thoughts by the way?

@Luc Glad we agree. ;-)

@Peter Mount To some extent we are playing with fire developing
however we are developing. Sometimes (within Intranet systems
specially) we are specifically told by the client to develop for
IE6/IE7 and not care about other browsers as the client is trying to
save cash on testing (dev and UAT) and so on. Bottom line, there are
circumstances within which 'playing with fire' is what the client
wants.

@Chris F.A. Johnson That page is accessible, it just looks shit in the
browser you tested in (whatever you have used there - would have nice
to have test environment details). I don't care. Content is visible
and accessible. I am not intending to support everything under the Sun
under my blog.

@Mark Harris Plagiarism will get you nowhere. ;-)

@Oliver Boermans IE6 / Intranets reply. Today we make a decision to
use JQuery as a framework for AJAX/JS. In two year JQuery gets dropped
by browsers for whatever reason and browsers no longer support it. We
are once again 'playing with fire'. Do you know exactly what future
holds? How do we know that everything we are doing today will not have
to be re-written in 2-3 years time to be compatible. HTML4 --> HTML5
is a perfect example of a case where technology will imply some
changes need to be made in order for things to keep up with time. Just
a thought.

Thanks for replies once again.

Back to coding now.

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 12:13 PM, Lesley Lutomski
<ubu...@webaflame.co.uk> wrote:
> I also agree with this, and I have a problem with someone whose view on
> accessibility seems to focus on the technologies, not the people using those
> technologies.
>
> I have a modern browser (Firefox 3.5) with full support for Javascript,
> Flash, etc.  I also have disabilities which make it very difficult for me to
> use some sites which employ those technologies.  If you want me, and people
> like me, to visit your site for more than a few seconds, then I suggest you
> focus on whether we can access it, not whether our computers can!
>
> Lesley
>
> Oliver Boermans wrote:
>>
>> On 30/01/2010, at 11:04 AM, Peter Mount <i...@petermount.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Even with closed systems like intranets you're "playing with fire" if you
>>> don't have regard for accessibility.
>>
>> Agreed. Web applications built ‘for' closed intranets are the reason so
>> many corporates still have IE6 installed. There are perfectly good selfish
>> reasons why companies ought to consider accessibility. It's about ensuring
>> things just work.
>>
>> Ollie

Jason Grant BSc, MSc
CEO, Flexewebs Ltd.