On 7/20/10 9:58 PM, tee wrote:

On Jul 20, 2010, at 7:10 PM, Mathew Robertson wrote:

On 21 July 2010 11:52, tee <weblis...@gmail.com
<mailto:weblis...@gmail.com>> wrote:

EM can fail miserably in below senario for IEs for p, li and span
tags due to inheritance making them very tiny and unable to get
consistence font size for one block of content in different
browsers not just the IE.

body {font-size: 100.1%} p, li {font-size: 0.95em} span {font-size:
0.9em}

[snipped]

As a general rule, you shouldn't be putting any font-size in tags,
as that will frequently suffer inheritance problems. This
general-rule applies to most attributes on most tags. The one
example where this may not apply, is when defining a reset.

That was just a quick example to illustrate the problem using EM unit
 when a layout has a span (class) 3 level deep or a li 2 level deep.
It doesn't matter whether the font size is declare in a type selector
or a class. The general rule that you may stick with, will still fail
miserably.

[example snipped]

With all due respect, I suggest you are attempting to control the
uncontrollable far too finely. 0.9em is either one or two pixels smaller
than default, depending on the rounding applied by the browser. In other
words, you are already getting as much difference between browsers as
you are trying to apply.

I suggest you not attempt to make such minuscule adjustments to
font-size; set a size for a container or class and leave it at that. For
the most part I find browser default sizes good, with only a couple of
variations on a page (for more or less important content.)

Anyway, that's how I have managed to preserve my hair. Hopefully it can
help you.

Cordially,
David