I agree - I usually set just the body font for something like 95%, and
then the container font for 1em.  I don't setup anything else, except if I
need something different for some .classes or #ids.
Is that a good solution?

Anya V.  Gerasimchuk
Web Designer, IT - Web Shared Services
UNIFI Information Technology
agerasimc...@unioncentral.com
(513) 595 -2391

David Hucklesby <huckle...@gmail.com>
Sent by: li...@webstandardsgroup.org
07/21/2010 10:52 AM
Please respond to
wsg@webstandardsgroup.org

wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
cc

Subject
Re: [WSG] ems versus pixels

On 7/20/10 9:58 PM, tee wrote:

> On Jul 20, 2010, at 7:10 PM, Mathew Robertson wrote:
>
>> On 21 July 2010 11:52, tee <weblis...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:weblis...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> EM can fail miserably in below senario for IEs for p, li and span
>> tags due to inheritance making them very tiny and unable to get
>> consistence font size for one block of content in different
>> browsers not just the IE.
>>
>> body {font-size: 100.1%} p, li {font-size: 0.95em} span {font-size:
>> 0.9em}
>>
>> [snipped]
>>
>> As a general rule, you shouldn't be putting any font-size in tags,
>> as that will frequently suffer inheritance problems. This
>> general-rule applies to most attributes on most tags. The one
>> example where this may not apply, is when defining a reset.
>
> That was just a quick example to illustrate the problem using EM unit
>  when a layout has a span (class) 3 level deep or a li 2 level deep.
> It doesn't matter whether the font size is declare in a type selector
> or a class. The general rule that you may stick with, will still fail
> miserably.

[example snipped]

With all due respect, I suggest you are attempting to control the
uncontrollable far too finely. 0.9em is either one or two pixels smaller
than default, depending on the rounding applied by the browser. In other
words, you are already getting as much difference between browsers as
you are trying to apply.

I suggest you not attempt to make such minuscule adjustments to
font-size; set a size for a container or class and leave it at that. For
the most part I find browser default sizes good, with only a couple of
variations on a page (for more or less important content.)

Anyway, that's how I have managed to preserve my hair. Hopefully it can
help you.

Cordially,
David

*******
This message may contain confidential information intended only
for the use of the addressee(s) named above and may contain
information that is legally privileged. If you are not the
addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the
addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, disseminating,
distributing or copying this message is strictly prohibited.  If you
have received this message by mistake, please immediately notify
us by replying to the message and delete the original message
immediately thereafter.  Thank you.
*******