On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 1:45 PM, tee <weblis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Months ago I tried converting a theme to HTML5, but had to give it up for
> the following reason:
> Ran into a number of validation errors with obsolete tags which are no
> longer supported by HTML5. Though they were all fixable but it gave me a
> second thought perhaps it's not such a good idea to be progressive with
> newer markup technology for sites that need to go live today, tomorrow, next
> year and that I have no control, no way to know how the site owners going to
> use their sites and how many plugins they will be using which have terribly
> markup in the template files. I can't remember exactly how many errors I
> encountered except this one that had me a change of heart because  I am not
> certain of the impact on the WCAG 2.0 success criteria and how today's
> Screen readers handle the HTML5.
> W3C validator flagged Summary attribute as obsolete. Quote: "The summary
> attribute is obsolete. Consider describing the structure of complex tables
> in <caption> or in a paragraph and pointing to the paragraph using the
> aria-describedby attribute."  So this is more a validation error than
> accessibility issue right? TotalValidator doesn't find it wrong. So I assume
> it's not an accessibility issue, or TotalValidator got it wrong.
> Last time I checked, browsers are buggy rendering Caption element, not sure
> if this is still the case but I certainly don't want to go find a hack or
> invent a hack to make caption element render correctly in all
> browsers. Aria-described  attribute maybe a way to go but I don't know
> little about it.

I'd be curious to see your validation errors.  FYI, obsolete is brand
new to HTML5, it's different than being deprecated, it means you can
still use it but there's a probably a better way to do what you're
trying to do and that you should abandon that old way for a better way
but it's okay if you don't.  Also if you would use the W3C validator
you will see it only gives a warning about the summary but will still
say your markup is valid so technically it's still valid markup to use
summary.

This is why all the experts I hear talk say if you have valid HTML or
XHTML just changing your doctype to <!doctype html> gives you valid
html5 markup.