As far as I know, image maps are not deprecated... just often abused so you
should really consider your options. I agree with your little analogy as
well. I'd evaluate exactly what the problem is and then pick a solution.

For example, if all the shapes in the potential map are square, it'd be easy
to separate into individual images. If they would need 800 points in a
polygon, maybe a color-picker based JS script could be employed (you could
probably write one of these in <100 pixels). If you don't need to be that
specific, just place anchor tags over a plain image (or use them as
background images in the anchor), etc.

And there are definitely ways to make image maps more accessible.

I'd say if you came across something that you thought about using an image
map, just ask yourself what other solutions you can use and evaluate if any
of those may be a better fit.

- Christian