In the US map problem, an image map may make sense.

However, there are many more in which an image map doesn't make sense. For
example, having a graphical menu with an image map, having a header image
map for links, etc. These would be better done using separate images.

Also, sometimes a scripted method might work best. For example, you could
have each state a different image and different color. Instead of having to
try to do a crazy 800 point polygon, you could do a script where it compares
the color under the cursor when you click and determines which state you
clicked on with high precision.

I'm not saying image maps should never be used... I'm saying that you should
keep in mind alternatives because image maps are frequently abused.

- Christian