From: Joe Taylor [mailto:j...@princeton.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 9:13 AM
To: WSJT software development
Subject: Re: [wsjt-devel] Crazy test

Hi Alessandro,

I replicated your tests as exactly as possible, modifying CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS
and General_FFLAGS by the addition of "-mtune=native".
Using WSJT-X and the "Shift+F6" command, the sequence of ten files (01.wav,
02,wav, ... 10.wav) was processed in 21 seconds with or without the addition
of "-mtune=native" before building the program from scratch.  I could find
no measurable difference in execution speed for the two cases.  Certainly
they were the same to within 1 second.

I note also that the total execution time is very nearly the same as what I
reported yesterday for the execution of jt9[.exe] from the command line.
Almost all of the CPU-intensive "number crunching" in WSJT-X occurs in the
Fortran code in jt9.  Other tasks such as display of graphical information
and decoded text, writing output files, etc., make comparatively trivial
demands on CPU resources.

It remains a mystery to me why you have seen large differences in execution
speed after adding the compiler flag "-mtune=native".

        -- 73, Joe, K1JT