Greetings!

This is my first post to this developer list. I have been following this
list for quite some time already.
I have been active on JT modes for nearly 3 years now (HF exclusively)
2500+ JT mode QSOs in the log.

Regarding this discussion on RRR & RR73 and speeding up the report exchange
here are my 2 cents.

I am sorry to say that the proposed RR73 does not speed up anything. It
just adds a new dimension to message exchange. Please let me demonstrate my
point.

These are actual QSO examples from my logs.

Standard QSO:

0443  Tx      2546 @ CQ OH3T KP11
0444  -4 -0.0 2547 @ OH3T UN7DA NO00
0445  Tx      2546 @ UN7DA OH3T -04
0446  -3 -0.0 2547 @ OH3T UN7DA R-03
0447  Tx      2546 @ UN7DA OH3T 73
0448 -12  0.0 2547 @ OH3T UN7DA 73

QSO with kind courtesy at the end:

2159  Tx      2546 @ CQ OH3T KP11
2200 -10  0.4 2542 @ OH3T DF9YW JO41
2201  Tx      2546 @ DF9YW OH3T -10
2202 -12  0.3 2542 @ OH3T DF9YW R-21
2203  Tx      2546 @ DF9YW OH3T 73
2204 -10  0.4 2543 @ TU TONI 73
QSO with RRR 73 (could be as well RR73) at the end:

0201  Tx      1497 # CQ OH3T KP11
0202 -18 -0.1 1494 # OH3T CO2YQ EL83
0203  Tx      1497 # CO2YQ OH3T -18
0204 -20  0.1 1494 # OH3T CO2YQ R-16
0205  Tx      1497 # CO2YQ OH3T 73
0206 -21  0.2 1495 # OH3T RRR 73

>From the examples above we can easily draw the conclusion that RR73 does
not change the standard QSO structure. It is still six (6) overs to
complete exchange of all information. Please notice, that I have omitted
sending RRR for quite some time already. RRR does not add, in my opinion,
any value to the QSO exchange.

The only way to speed up the QSO is to remove some information from the
exchange. Now we have to go to the very fundamental definition of the QSO.
It is mandatory to 1. exchange calls, and 2. exchange report. This is
generally accepted definition of the QSO. Locator, name, tx power, etc. is
not needed. For QRP and weak signal work the locator is a valuable tool and
I like the 6 over standard QSO structure. However, if a DX would like to
speed up the QSO rate the following QSO structure of four (4) overs should
be considered. This is especially valuable when DX calls CQ on one QRG and
his customers are replying split.

0605  Tx      2561 @ CQ OH3T KP11
0606  13  0.1 2561 @ OH3T OH3NE +07          (*)
0607  Tx      2561 @ OH3NE OH3T R+13
0608  13  0.1 2561 @ OH3T OH3NE 73

0609  Tx      2561 @ CQ OH3T KP11

(*) some people send R+07 at this point, but I propose Tx2 instead of Tx3,
because it lands more nicely to the structure.
(If I get Tx3 I will still reply with Tx3 on my next over.)

Here (time 0609) I have omitted sending 73. 73 is implicit in the next CQ.
Otherwise I would have repeated sending the R+13 report.(This QSO exhange
was constructed by me working me :) with remote connection to our club
station OH3NE. That is why the reports are what they are.. Having confessed
that, quite a few stations have worked me with this exact four over QSO
mode already, and I have worked quite a few DX with this exact way (recent
T6 activation for example).

CU on the bands!

73s,

Toni oh3t