Mike --

> But that only works if you are the receiver whereas the CQ'r is stuck
> manually doing these things after message#5.  And yes, I know it's just two
> extra clicks and one extra mouse move but they are totally unnecessary if we
> just treat the two sides the same - equal representation and all that stuff
> donchya' know!!

You're not asking for equal treatment.

When G0XYZ sends "K1ABC G0XYZ 73" he knows that the QSO is complete.

When K1ABC sends "G0XYZ K1ABC RRR" he knows only that he has all desired
information.  He *hopes* that G0XYZ will receive his acknowledgment of
same, and then the QSO will be complete.

I'm sure you understand that the history and pedigree of WSJT(-X) lies
in the VHF-and-up world, especially for paths like meteor scatter and
EME.  For good reasons, "ping jockeys" and "moonbouncers" tend to be
rather fussy about what constitutes a legitimate minimal QSO.  By
longstanding tradition, a valid contact is taken to be one where both
operators during the contact have

(1) mutually identified each other

(2) received a report (or other information such as a locator), and

(3) received a confirmation of the successful identification and the
reception of the report.

It's understood that responsibility for the integrity of the contact
always lies with the operator.

At HF, especially in contest of pile-up circumstances, I'm perfectly
happy to log QSOs of the following form (and similarly brief ones):

CQ K1ABC
                 W9XYZ
W9XYZ 599 MA
                 599 WI
TU K1ABC

Signal strength, timing of transmissions, etc., can leave no reasonable
doubt in either operator's mind that the contact is complete.

Again: responsibility for integrity of a contact (and if/when it gets
logged) lies with the operator.

        -- 73, Joe, K1JT