According to the WSJT-X docs and previous discussions this is what I
understand to be a standard exchange.taken from the docs.

0001

CQ K1ABC FN42

K1ABC calls CQ

0002

K1ABC G0XYZ IO91

G0XYZ answers

0003

G0XYZ K1ABC -19

K1ABC sends report

0004

K1ABC G0XYZ R-22

G0XYZ sends acknowledgment and report

0005

G0XYZ K1ABC RRR

K1ABC sends acknowledgment

0006

K1ABC G0XYZ 73

G0XYZ sends 73

The way WSJT-X works now is if you are the one transmitting message#6 it can
popup the log window and sets the last Std Msg as the next to transmit (i.e.
CQ).

But that only works if you are the receiver whereas the CQ'r is stuck
manually doing these things after message#5.  And yes, I know it's just two
extra clicks and one extra mouse move but they are totally unnecessary if we
just treat the two sides the same - equal representation and all that stuff
donchya' know!!

Either RRR means 73 or it doesn't.  It is my understanding that there are a
few pedantic hams who won't QSL unless they get a 73 (apparently says so on
their QRZ page) but I'm not too worried about them.perhaps they just need to
be informed.

I don't see why WSJT-X behavior should be any different depending on which
end of the QSO you are.  You still get the 73 which acknowledges the RRR.
If the sender doesn't give RRR then you send R-22 again.

The concept, to me, is "at end of transmission display log window and set CQ
as next" which is RRR for the sender.

What I find (and maybe it's just me) is that when I switch back and forth
between CQ and listening the different behavior has caused me to lose (i.e.
forget) log entries since the window doesn't ALWAYS pop up.

You can get too used to the log window prompting you which is what has
happened to me after over 8000 QSOs using WSJT-X.

Mike W9MDB