I have done a fair amount of work to try to isolate the circumstances that
produce the leak.
- I used some spare partitions to build clean Ubuntu systems of various
vintages. I installed the deb of 1.9.0-rc2, tested, then removed that and
built it from the source using the libraries provided by the distribution,
whatever version they were.
- 16.04 LTS: the deb installed, no leak. Built from source, no problem, no
leak.
- 17.10: the deb installed, no leak. Built from source, it leaks.
- 18.04 (Daily): deb won't install because the repo does not have
readline6, just readline5 and readline7 for some reason. The source builds
and runs but I haven't got the sound working yet so I can't tell if leaks
or not.

I am not finished here. I am tabulating the versions of the dependencies of
the jt9 executable to try to see if there is a particular version that is
causing the problem. I think the results above suggest that the problem
exists in something that is statically compiled into jt9 because the deb
works but the compiled version does not.

By the way, the build instructions could use an update. I found several
dependencies that are not mentioned there.