Hi Uwe,

On 3/14/2018 5:15 AM, DG2YCB, Uwe wrote:
Today I’ve had my first real-life experience with the new DXpedition mode.

No, not really. FT8 DXpedition mode is not present in any full-release version of WSJT-X. A correct statement is that you participated in an exercise using beta-release software with intentionally limited capabilities.

TY7C was the fox, the frequency was 7.070 MHz. The station came in with a rather stable signal around -12dB, and most stations (with exception of one Italian and one Romanian and a few others…) were following the instructions for DXpedition mode.

However, I was somehow disappointed:

- Although about five to ten hounds were calling TY7C simultaneously (in the correct range 1000 – 4000 Hz), in most cases TY7C sent his reply only to one station each.

Of course, because in WSJT-X v1.9.0-rc2 arbitrary stations acting as Fox are intentionally limited to a single Tx "slot".

Means that number of QSOs per minute was nearly the same as in normal mode.

Even limited to one Tx slot, with plenty of well-behaved Hounds a practiced Fox operator can make QSOs at about twice the rate of standard FT8 QSOs.

As sometimes up to four stations occurred in the rage 300 – 900 Hz, there must have been more than one QSO in the queue. Why did that happen?

Did you read the "DXpedition Mode Test Results" that was widely distributed following the first public test on March 6-7 ? This issue and many others were described in some detail there.

We distributed WSJT-X v1.9.0-rc2 in order to make possible a public test of FT8 DXpedition Mode in sustained pileup conditions. The test run was extremely helpful. Except for ad hoc testing in small groups by special arrangement, we have generally recommended against other use of DXpedition Mode with this program release. Of course it's OK to try it -- but you will not yet see anything close to its full capabilities.

Known bugs brought to light by the March 6-7 public test run have now been fixed. We expect to have WSJT-X v1.9.0-rc3 packaged and made available by next weekend. We will plan to announce another public test run soon afterward.

        -- 73, Joe, K1JT