Hi Take,

On 7/4/2018 9:20 AM, Tsutsumi Takehiko JA5AEA wrote:

Concerning the “second +4dB term”, I remember Bill’s suggestion included hashing of callsign (I used the number of (28-15) x 5 = 65 bit reduction). I also reduced five 7x7 synch to one 7x7 synch, which I am not sure whether Bill included. I will not further describe the details to defend my ballpark number but I can say I disagree with your 0.6dB gain calculation, here.

Yes, if you convey less information you can achieve a lower threshold SNR for decoding.

For this discussion I had assumed 11x28 = 308 bits for callsigns and 5x6 =30 bits for signal reports, 338 bits total. Compared with the 5x75 = 375 bits for 5xFT8, this leads to a gain of ~0.5 dB. Steve quoted 0.6 dB because he used 3-bit rather than 6-bit reports.

If we use 13-bit hashes for the callsigns being sent "RR73", the total
would be 6x28 + 5x13 + 5x6 = 263 bits. Compared to 5xFT8, this yields 10log(375/263) = 1.5 dB.

Apparently you are suggesting something like 150-bit information content, since 10log(375/150) = 4 dB. This is not at all the same thing as 5 FT8 messages.

As I write to Steve, I do not have any intention to sell or stick to my +8dB number. If you feel uncomfortable, please deal it to + (1~8)dB  additional gain proposal .

No problem -- we are happy to discuss these things with you!

        -- 73, Joe, K1JT