From: Steven Franke via wsjt-devel <wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Friday, July 6, 2018 9:52:04 PM
To: WSJT software development
Cc: Steven Franke
Subject: Re: [wsjt-devel] Observation on Expedition Mode

Hi Take,

Your textbook figure shows the difference in Eb/N0 required to achieve 10^-4
BER on the AWGN channel, using single-symbol non-coherent detection.

Please consider the fact that if the SNR is large enough to provide 10^-4 BER,
then any of the JT modes would virtually never fail to decode. We would be
operating like a commercial communications system, at SNR well above the 50%
decoding threshold that is used to characterize the relative sensitivity of the
different JT modes.

Consider FT8 as an example - the error-correcting code that we use will decode
about half of the frames having 26 bit errors (out of 174 total bits). This
means that our 50% decoding threshold is obtained at a BER of approximately
26/174=0.15. This is more than 3 orders of magnitude larger than the BER in
your textbook Figure.

At the BER corresponding to the FT8 detection threshold, you will find that the
advantage of 64FSK over 8FSK is relatively small, as I stated earlier.

As I also stated earlier, any near-threshold-SNR advantage of 64FSK can be
completely erased if the 8FSK signal is detected on the basis of groups of
symbols using a technique called “noncoherent sequence detection”.  The
efficacy of sequence detection is not just something that I read about in a
textbook.  This idea has been implemented in the improved WSPR decoder that was
released in version 1.8, where the detection threshold has been improved by
almost 3 dB for highly coherent MF and LF signals.

Finally, you have not commented on the comparison that I presented earlier
where I scaled QRA64 to the same total transmission time as FT8, and I showed
that their detection threshold were virtually the same. If 64FSK has a large
advantage of 8FSK at the relevant SNRs, then how do you explain the parity
between scaled QRA64 and FT8?

My assertions are not based on textbook figures. They are based on results
obtained from realistic simulations, using detection and decoding algorithms
implemented in computer programs written by Nico, Joe, and me. You have
asserted that it should be possible to send nearly 5 times as many bits as FT8
sends, in the same amount of time, while improving the decoding threshold by up
to 1 dB over the current FT8 threshold. As Joe has already said, we invite you
to prepare some code that demonstrates your assertion.

73, Steve k9an

On Jul 5, 2018, at 10:39 PM, Tsutsumi Takehiko