I disagree with below.

Sam explained it well. Keeping the same Pan TX location the RF frequency is shifted to maintain and audio frequency suitable for the best passband performance and level

continuity. It is split. The TX VFO adjust to 500, 1000 below the RX RX VFO frequency when pan TX marker is set  ~ 500 or 1000 below  the mid mark. and opposit when set above so the TX vfo raises frequency 500, 100 Hz and so on. The same effect of changing frequency changing the pitch of a received voice/signal is the same effect used to get the audio frequency in the sweetspot while maintaining pan position for stations listening. Any frequency shift between TX and RX is split operation.

Fake (split) is changing the same (TX/RX) vfo frequency between TX and RX for the same effect.

vk4tux

When using sideband modulation (USB/LSB) the RF frequency is tied to audio slot frequency. That is: dumped RF carrier +/- audio frequency depending on sideband used. If we change audio slot we change RF frequency that means we are using "split" in means what is in Ham radio.

No it means you are altering audio frequency in line with the pan marker, carrier point frequency remains the same, and unless it is forced to shift then audio passband become an issue.

Using the thoughtlessly named "split operation" of wsjt-x/settings/radio has NO effect to RF frequency that is produced. It is always the same as "split operation", when used, adjusts the ratio of RF carrier to audio frequency to keep the produced RF frequency always the same while centering the audio frequency in middle of AF filter passband.

Rubbish, The split operation shifts RF frequency on TX vfo in 500Hz increments to suit the audio marker more than 500Hz off center.