Hi Adrian, Sam and all interested parties,

I also disagree, but that's not fair as we have not defined terminology for
this discussion! Warning: this takes a bit bandwidth, sri.

Behind there may be two issues. The first is what is meant by the transmission
frequency in FT8? The second is of course what split means?

Let's first take the FT8 transmission frequency, RF frequency. Before that we
need to agree that an FT8 signal is 50 Hz wide eight level frequency shifting
modulated (constant amplitude) signal and for the purposes of WSJT-X nominal
frequency is the same as the lowest tone of those eight tones. [Quite often the
center of the transmission is defined as the signal frequency, but it is
irrelevant for this discussion.]

We need to look what is radiated from the antenna, RF frequency. That is the
only point an observer e.g. official frequency monitoring unit will see. When
FT8 is generated in the typical manner, then it is rig's carrier frequency +
audio frequency. It is irrelevant what are the carrier and audio frequencies,
only the sum of those has a meaning. [In some rigs the carrier frequency is the
same as VFO frequency, but in older rigs there are additional mixing stages
with band frequency generators.] Actually it is possible to generate the FT8
signal directly on the RF frequency as well. So what you see at antenna is the
transmission frequency.

[Please note that voice signal is a wide signal typically 300 Hz to 2800 Hz or
so. The RF frequency is defined as the carrier frequency that is zero Hz at
audio level. That is a modulation type based definition. It is the same as for
Amplitude Modulation, just only one sideband is sent and no carrier in SSB.
Although FT8 signal is generated or actually moved to radio frequency using an
SSB rig, still it is not an SSB transmission. Some rigs generate CW in the same
manner, but nobody calls CW as SSB in that case. The same is valid for (ASK)
RTTY.]

The second is 'split'. WSJT-X uses 'Split Operation' or 'Split Mode'
internally. By internal I mean that you cannot tell from the antenna radiated
signal whether that 'internal split' is used or not. [Well, no rig is perfect
or operator may misuse it and the unwanted radiation can tell how the signal is
generated. But that's not an issue for this discussion.] So that 'Split
operation' in only an internal RF signal generation issue.

There is another 'split' mentioned in the User Guide. In that context word
'split' is not used, but indirect expression such as the recommendation to
avoid QRM on the DX Rx frequency by using 'Hold Tx Freq' and selecting another
'free' Tx frequency on the waterfall. Radio amateurs usually call that way of
working 'split'. Perhaps 'split working' could be used in that context. Coming
back to the RF frequency. the 'split working' is seen at antenna as the Rx
frequency is different than the Tx frequency. I could say it is an external
split.

Now with those definitions the internal 'Split Operation' does not change radio
frequency. It changes VFO frequency, but that's irrelevant on the antenna
radiation point of view. On the other hand having the Rx green goalpost at a
different (audio) frequency that the Tx red goalpost is classical split working
(in short 'split') as at the antenna there are different Rx and Tx frequencies.

Perhaps we could add some note into the User Guide on that issue. Currently
terminology seems to lead to unnecessary disagreements and move discussion to
irrelevant arguing instead of discussing the original item (a random frequency
selection for CQ).

My 2 cents.

73, Reino OH3mA