Hi Sam, Adrian and the Experts,
Before I can answer some of the questions, I need to repeat my understanding
how SPLIT should be defined. I use two different ‘splits’ that can be used at
the same time or independently.

#Class: the classical split simply means you are using a different radiated
frequency than the target station is using. So you are not using the classical
split, when you are calling CQ! The classical split is used to avoid QRM on the
DX station's transmit frequency i.e. on your receiver frequency. The use of
this slit is seen over the air.

#Int: the internal station split used to optimize transmission performance,
audio harmonics attenuated and output power less dependent on the audio
frequency. Radiated frequency is sum of the WSJT-X base frequency plus audio
frequency. No relation between received and transmitted frequency. The use of
this split is not seen over the air.

On 2/5/23 23:33, Sam W2JDB via wsjt-devel wrote:
Hi,

> Having followed this thread from the beginning and being a small part of it
> (in the beginning) I do have some questions regarding the use of the word
> SPLIT as it pertains to WSJT-X versus its classical meaning on the HF Bands
> in CW and SSB, i.e. UP 5 or UP 10 etc.

> First, I would you all agree that while you are in the receive state in
> WSJT-X, you are listening for the entire band pass beginning at the base,
> i.e.  14.074 plus a small offset such as 200 and extending to the upper limit
> of the bandpass that you specified. That does not change no matter where you
> place your receive goal posts (green).

# Split requires transmission so irrelevant and so agreed.

> The question now becomes if you are operating split when you move the TX
> marker away from the RX marker. Suppose you don't have the SPLIT function on,
> that is it is set to NONE. Are you still operating split if your TX marker is
> at the edges of the bandpass?

#Class: yes, "Int: no.

> Now lets look at it the other way, suppose you set the TX marker at 1500
> smack dab in the center, or close to it, and you do have the SPLIT function
> on, Fake It or Rig it does not matter. Are you now operating SPLIT?

#Class: not defined in the question, yes or no depending where the station you
are calling/working happens to be, #Int: yes, but no rig control action needed.

> How about you have SPLIT on and are on offset 2000, calling someone who is on
> 500 and he then answered you on offset 2000.  Did you operate SPLIT?

#Class: yes, but the other operator changes the QSO to non-split, #Int:
potentially, if activated.

> Here is another question, suppose I am in a QSO, phone, my equalizer is set
> to emphasize the lower frequencies and attenuate the middle and the highs
> while my counterparty emphasizes the higher frequencies and attenuates the
> lower to the middle.  Are we operating SPLIT?

#Class: no, #Int: not applicable.

> How about the situation when you need to use either RIT or XIT function in
> the rig, Are you operating SPLIT?

#Class, if your RIT or XIT is tuned more than the used bandwidth, then yes.

> As someone said it, no one owns the meaning of the word SPLIT, but the choice
> of using the word SPLIT within WSJT-X seems to be the wrong word as it runs
> counter to its classical meaning in the HAM community and introduces
> confusion. We all know, or should know, that WSJT-X uses a function, should
> we to choose to use it, optimize the output power and minimize and distortion
> no matter where the TX marker is. That function simple shifts things around
> so that the audio component is somewhere around the center of the bandpass.

The same observation!

73, Reino OH3mA