Consider me interested.  I've had this concept on the backburner for a
while, but haven't had the time to get ahead on the code while working
on tests.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Bill Agee
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2007 2:55 PM
To: wtr-general@rubyforge.org
Subject: Re: [Wtr-general] watir execution from webserver

One bare-bones solution for this problem is to use the Ruby gserver
library to start your tests - see the code snippets in this post:

http://www.mail-archive.com/wtr-general@rubyforge.org/msg07247.html

The idea is to leave a little Ruby script listening on the test client,
and when someone sends any traffic to it (a telnet connection, hitting
the port with a web browser, etc), your Watir script is executed.

It sounds like you're looking for a more full-featured solution, though.
For that I'd suggest creating a little Ruby on Rails app.  Last year I
put together a rails app that did something similar - it displayed a
list of Watir scripts as links, and when one was clicked on it would
execute the script and display console output in the browser.  This
worked surprisingly well (even for scripts that used IE#attach, which
can cause problems if present in a script that gets started remotely).

I stopped before adding the ability to locate and display logfiles,
though.  But that wouldn't be too hard to do.

In all it only took 5 rails controllers (less than 100 lines total) and
5 or 6 separate views.  (And I'm sure it could be compacted even more.)
I came out of the experience pretty impressed with rails.  If there's
interest I can try to clean up the code and post it.