Hey Paul,

thank you for your comment. That was a great statement!
Actually the first one where I didn't feel like I am the idiot.

I have a mail of Heinz here saying that VCS (read only) access is the
"next thing" - that's what he promised on July 15th. Taking that
statement seriously, I told my clients and coworkers: I have talked to
the x2go project leader and we will have GIT access very soon, you
should definitely have some money ready to fund some work on x2go that
is either done by me or by Heinz and Alex themselves.

Can you understand that it is totally embarassing for me? Heinz could
have said at this time: No, Jörg, we won't accept contributions in the
new feature - fork it, make something own, find another project.

I am now the complete idiot: My client wants to roll out a testing
environment / pilot project if it work out to provide a set of
educational and standard software to all schools in the state through
x2go. Nothing has been done and I am the stupid one who is now blamed
because I trusted Heinz' word!

In my opinion, a promise should only be given, if you can and want to
hold it. How can collaboration work, if you don't trust people?

I cannot understand that so many people on this list say: Go away, they
are doing this in their spare time, they a) do not need to hold their
promises (setting up VCS takes 2 minutes, so not really a BIG promise
that's hard to fullfill) and b) can simply ignore GPL unless they
publish the code at some time when they are not so busy.

You are all right and it's great that Alex and Heinz have done a lot of
work for us - but that doesn't mean they are allowed to bring others in
trouble and waste their time because of false promises! And that does
not mean that it is okay to wait until others do all the work again
because they are frustrated as hell by not being taken seriously!

Play with open cards please!

Thanks,

JÖrg