Okay a bit more experimentation, with full screen 1080p video running,
as I mentioned I'm only getting around 15fps.  8Mbit/s bandwidth is used.
Only about 14% CPU is used, 0.56 load on a 4 CPU machine, and there is 1GB
of memory still free so not swapping on server.

     On the client about same CPU occupancy but most of that has nothing to
do with X2Go, it's other local stuff running.  2 GB still free so not swapping.

     So there is neither a CPU nor bandwidth nor memory constraint on either
server nor client.

     These are ping statistics:

--- fedora.eskimo.com ping statistics ---
19 packets transmitted, 19 received, 0% packet loss, time 18027ms

     This is pinging from my workstation on a Comcast cable modem to my server
at the co-lo facility.  As you can see no bad latency spikes, 12.2ms is max
and that's pretty reasonable for a remote connection.

     So there has to be some software bottleneck involved.  Any suggestions at
other things to look at?

   Knowledgeable human assistance, not telephone trees or script readers.