FWIW,

When we started a recent project, (not so recent anymore), we needed to use Irish Mapping information. With much help from Tom and Gerry, I was able to convert them into something xastir could use. However, the results were pretty poor, so we (Kristian) ended up doing a GUI from scratch in C++. It builds and runs quite happily on Linux and OSX (We didn't try Leopard actually).

I remember at the time having a discussion with him at the time, what would, in his opinion, be a good way to take an xastir2 implementation (His knowledge wouldn't go as far as the GIS databases, but he did wrestle with co-ordinate conversion and storage), I'll pose it to him again.

Like others have said, I think its the non ANSI STL libraries will bite you.

Also, when I made an attempt to add IPv6 support to xastir, I was only able to get so far, as I would have had to change some internal structures that I wasn't comfortable with changing in order to get the final bit working. As it was I did a quick hack to bypass that code, and had a 'proof' of concept in operation. Id be happy to try again with that. Also I'll find out what parts of our project would be suitable for re-use if any.

Regards
de John
EI7IG