Well, Debian etch just released, and (K,X)Ubuntu will release next week.

I just saw a note giving the release schedule for the *Next* release of Ubuntu, codenamed 'Gutsy Gibbon', to be released this October.

The process of producing an Ubuntu release begins by snapshotting the Debian Unstable repository, which will happen automatically until June 21st, which is declared the 'Debian Import Freeze' A month or so ago, I tracked down the Debian maintainer of the xastir package, and learned that he rebuilds the package whenever the project releases a new 'stable' version. Considering the ease of installation with apt-get, and the popularity of Ubuntu (and now, its derivatives), I would give a high priority to making sure that what is declared 'stable' at the time of the next snapshot is actually that, plus is equipped with a newbie-friendly default configuration. The last snapshot (In November or December '06), had the unfortunate habit of opening into a tiny (1/2" x 1/2") window, and even after manually expanding it, showed no obvious path to a workable config. The current CVS has these problems fixed, and opens with a simple line-drawing world map in the background, and the 'station config' dialog open, which is several orders of magnitude greater on the 'newbie-friendly' scale! Can we get a new 'Stable' polished in time to have a better showing for the next distribution cycle? The one outstanding glitch I see is the lesstiff/openmotif issue. Ubuntu ships by default with lesstif2, due to what they consider less-than-open licensing of openmotif. Clearly, there's a bug in the current lesstif2 library, but I can't find it documented in the ubuntu bug tracker. Can I get some help describing this bug, so I can effectively push it upstream, and get it polished as well before the next release?

--
Rick Green

                                  -Benjamin Franklin