-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: [linuxham] Xastir
Date:   Sun, 09 Nov 2008 15:45:36 -0700
From:   Steve/WM5Z <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

OOPS, forgot a line. See line I added below....

There is another method you can use too.

Open gedit (if you are using gnome) or kedit (KDE's version) and paste the following into it;

update -P -d
status -v
diff -u

Save this as a file named ".cvsrc" and be sure to include the period before the name.

Next, open a terminal window. Cut and past the following line;

cvs -d:pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/cvsroot/xastir login

This will log you into the cvs. When it asks for a password, just hit enter. Do not add anything. You will now be logged in anonymously.

Now cut and paste this line. Sit back as you will now be building and downloading all the files needed to build xastir in a file folder called xastir.

cvs -d:pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/cvsroot/xastir co xastir

You could save this for later use as you can update xastir right along with the developers.

In the Terminal window, you change directories to xastir, do the "./configure, make as usual, then change to superuser to install.

One other hint. If you want to automatically install almost all of the tool libraries, within xastir, change to superuser cd to scripts and type;

sh get-maptools.sh When that is finished, type or cut and paste into terminal

/sbin/ldconfig

when that has finished, type exit.

One gotcha to be very careful of is to never run ./configure or make as superuser. You will make a mess that is hard to clean up. Also never run xastir in su mode.

Do the ./configure - make from here and you will have all that you need.

Hope this helps Roger.

Steve/WM5Z