On Sun, 2008-11-16 at 17:15 -0600, Lee Bengston wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 3:54 PM, Rick Green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Sat, 15 Nov 2008, Lee Bengston wrote:
> >
> >> http://www.xastir.org/wiki/index.php/HowTo:Ubuntu_8.10
> >>

> Ok, that's what had me confused about the map_tif.c error.  I thought
> that you and Roger while getting that error had reported following the
> older Ubuntu HowTo, which installs geotiff from source - so I didn't
> realize that it had been installed from the repo.
I have had so many attempts I may well have done it both ways ;-)
But latterly I did the from source via ./get-maptools.sh part of the
howto.

Re map issue in earlier post it looks like a hiccup in the inf to geo
conversion such that an east longitude gained a minus sign fortunately
the map was sufficiently wide for to to show squashed rather than not at
all.

So I'm happy for now.
Although it would be nice to manage a compile with out a load of
warnings.

My question regarding GCC 4.3 / 4.2 against 4.1 still needs an expert to
pronounce on mainly in case it causes a problem for someone else.

Teh question is asked because the line.

libgeotiff will build correctly with the stock GCC 4.1 compiler that
comes with Ubuntu.

is in the 8.10 howto

I'm fairly sure the GCC4.3 and most likely the 4.2 were installed during
the upgrade from 8.04 and then 8.10.

I will get an iso of 8.10 and install it on virtulBox and see what are
the defaults.
It's time I tested a cable modem at work for more that a quick
download ;-)
Roger