Based on some earlier posts, it sounds like there are some issues with
GraphicsMagick, so yes, I recommend removing GraphicMagick via
Synaptic and installing Imagemagick.

See http://xastir.org/wiki/index.php/HowTo:Ubuntu_8.10 for a list of
packages that includes Imagemagick to install via Synaptic.  I would
install them prior to executing the configure, make and make install
portions of the commands Rick gave you below.

Regards,
Lee - K5DAT