well, I didn't go into why we use it, just how it was implemented...

outlook's built-in block list does not, of course, affect the global spammer list
maintained by xmail and is geared toward blocking
spam for individual users.  our interest was in having point-of-use global spammer
blocking; I and and other authorized individuals
can block IP addresses or domains (the latter is accomplished by having xmail compare
RDNS results against spam-address.tab.  the
outlook code I use in production can update either of those two files depending upon
whether I want to block the IP or the MTA's
entire domain).  thus, any admin who receives spam (or email from a user reporting
spam or porn or company email policy violations
or whatever) can block it globally - not just for themselves - without running a
standalone program to find the required
information.  If he or she opens a message and decides that it should be globally
blocked (or if they receive a spam report from a
user) they simply click.  this is particularly convenient on Monday mornings when the
logfiles have rolled a few times and we open
our inboxes to find scores of spam reports (or spam messages).  The log files don't
include enough information to determine whether
most messages are spam or not, but the messages themselves do.  scripted automation of
the task also permits inclusion of business
rules into the process - such as the recordkeeping done when spam is reported to an
ISP, and what those reports contain.

I am in no way ragging your program or method, our admins simply like our solution and
it integrates into other business functions.
Time that relatively expensive admins spend cutting & pasting or running external
programs when an automated solution can be had
costs money that I'd rather spend on hardware (or bonuses!).  But similarly, for a
single-user (or all-admin) deployment of xmail
(e.g., at home), it provides maximum convenience; I find it distasteful if I have a
message open on my desktop to have to go
elsewhere to implement a block when the information is right there in front of me.