Hi all -

This question may be a bit out of place, but someone here may have a
recommendation...

Over the years, I have had an occasional problem with different mail
clietns choking on pop before smtp.  Generally this has been the case on
Mac (OS 9) mail clients, which thankfully are gone from my user group now.

Recently I put an anti-spam service (ASSP) on the same box and IP as
XMail which forwards mail to XMail after scanning it.  This mecahnism
has worked with no problems when I had ASSP on a seperate IP and a
seperate box from XMail, and it works well now *except* that certain
mail clients no longer seem to be able to authenticate properly.
Specifically these are Mac OS X mailtool and Outlook 2003 that I am
aware of (Thunderbird works fine).

This is obviosly some sort of interaction between ASSP and XMail, and so
the problem might exist on either side, but I was hoping someone on the
XMail side might have some ideas ...?

Thanks!

Jeff