From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Jeff Buehler
Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 10:33 AM
To: xmail@xmailserver.org
Subject: [xmail] Re: pop before smtp

Yes, the email client (in this case Thunderbird and numerous other
external email clients) must be doing pop before smtp since I have never
enabled true SMTP authentication (even though I would like to, but that
is another story), and none of my testing has included setting password
authentication for SMTP.

The part that suprised me is that I am not set up to do real SMTP
authentication (only pop before), but when going through the ASSP proxy
running on the same system as XMail, SMTP authentication not only works
with at least some email clietns but is actually required for some.
Perhaps this is expected behavior, but I thought it was an either/or
sort of thing.

So, ASSP -> Xmail with pop before SMTP works with Thunderbird (at
least), but in Outlook 2003 and Mac OS X Mailtool (at least) SMTP
authentication is required for proper authentication.  This was not the
case when ASSP was on a seperate IP and a seperate platform - with that
config, pop before SMTP worked for all these email clients.  Also this
was not the case when ASSP was not in the picture (so obviously it has
something to do with ASSP -> XMail).

Jeff