Hmmm -

It would appear that if I set the email clients in question to require
SMTP authentication, and use the same username and password as for pop3
authentication, then everything works.  I thought this was an either/or
requirement, but now I have most users doing pop3 before smtp and some
users using smtp authentication, and it works (so far).

Should I be concerned?  This must be some funky ASSP thing ... but I am
(pleasantly?) suprised that XMail allows it to verify even when it is
not set to do smtp authentication (or at least I didn't think that it was!)

Jeff