> Wolfy Wrote @ Wednesday, October 03, 2007 10:37 AM
>
> Last weekend I had an example of this happen to one of my backup mail
servers.
> When I noticed the problem there were 27,000 NDR type messages it was
trying to deliver.

> Mostly all were sent to random [EMAIL PROTECTED] and the mail server was
diligently trying sending
> NDR's to every single one of them - most likely to faked or spoofed
addresses.

> I could actually sit and watch more junk flooding in, they appeared to be
coming from many compromised
> hosts so blocking the IP's didn't really help.
>
> So it would be very useful if Xmail at least had an option so that it does
not send all the bounced email
> messages. I realise this may not conform to the RFC's and I realise that
not many people may use it, but
> it would still be a very helpful if the mail-admin found that NDR messages
were getting out of hand.

> One or two legitimate senders may not know that their mail was not
delivered, but when compared to the
> type of flood described here its a small price to pay

Yes, you are absolutely correct -- this is becoming a very SERIOUS problem.
All of this started with us back
in July. The problem comes and goes. [NB: NDR = ?]

However, the issue now is I'm getting complaints from the folks getting the
bounce backs because a lot
of time the from line in header is forged and points to a real eMail
Address. I'm also getting complaints
from the targets of the effective SYN Flooding.

What I started to do is test this work around idea -- create a "bogon" user
for said domain and set
the alias to a '*' then set the disk quota 1K. So this first captures all of
the bogus eMails for a domain
and once the quota reaches 1K an error should be sent back indicating the
mailbox is full.

The problem is that xMail still generates a bounce back eMail message !

Now, I'm not an SMTP RFC expert, however, if xMail would simply reply "452
Requested action not taken:
insufficient system storage" instead of accepting the eMail we would be
fine. Let the sender deal with
the error. If it was a legitimate sender the sender's MTA would send the
bounce back to their user instead of us.

As I understand it, if the sending MTA gets a 4XX Reply code,  the response
code is considered to be a transient
Error and the sender's MTA is responsible for the queuing of the eMail and
trying again. The middle digit in the 452
error code, in other words  -- 5 indicates, the problem is with the
destination MTA.

If sure someone on the list knows this RFC stuff better and can offer
another solution that is more RFC compatible.

It think we need to get this NDR problem solved quick...

Thanks,
Hal Dell
Managing Partner
ePodWorks.net, Inc.