> On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, Hal Dell wrote:
>
> Recently a SPAMer started sending eMails to the server using a
> dictionary for eMail addresses like [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
> etc. Then the eMail Servers trys to send an eMail message back to the
> sender indicating the eMail was NOT delivered because of a bad eMail
> address.

> On Wednesday, October 03, 2007 2:28 PM Davide wrote:
>
> Why doesn't your server reject bad addresses at SMTP level??
> In *my* server, that stuf never even souch the spool. Actually, 99+% of
SPAM
> gets puked on at RBL level.

That's not been my experience. We have RBL (Zen) turned on at the head of
our
network and we dump like some 4000 eMails per hour during the day before
they
even get to xMail. The eMails that I am talking about get thru that filter
check.

I'm sorry, I should have said that we are running xMail V1.24 at present --
so I guess
I'm saying that our xMail Server V1.24 does NOT reject the bad destination
eMails
in the MTA session -- they seem to get queued for later retry delivery
attempts and
eventually an NDR is sent.

Is their a setting already built in V1.24 to stop this behavior? See example
eMail below...

[EMAIL PROTECTED] is NOT a valid eMail address for that domain !

I also found that when an eMailbox is full; xMail also generates an NDR as
well.

In both cases is it not better to inform the sending MTA in the MTA session
that
their is a problem and send a 45x SMTP message reply? Or do you already do
this? If so then why to NDR?

Thanks,
Hal Dell
Managing Partner