On 20 Jan 2008, at 12:34, Davide Libenzi wrote:

> > Sorry for followups to my own message but  it now looks to be a
> > configuration issue of some kind as my spare NetBSD 3.1 system
> > XMail-1.25-pre16 shows exact same problem so it's probably not
> > particularly a NetBSD-4 problem.  I can telnet to port 25 on main
> > server by hostname ok but get connection refused from spare server.
> > It's only a few weeks ago that I setup and tested smtps and pop3
> > connections from a Ubuntu system to this spare server before
> > transferring that configuration to main server to provide reasonably
> > secure remote access as well as allowing direct connections from
> > friends with outgoing port 25 blocked by isp.
> >
> > sorry for the noise - again
>
> Give me a summary :) Should I look into it or not?

I'm still working on it but it appears to be NetBSD-4 and/or ipv6
related. Any help would still be appreciated.

Sockstat showed xmail to be listening on tcp6 on all three systems.
NetBSD-3.1 mail.lordynet.org is ipv6 enabled and both ipv4 and ipv6
working.

NetBSD-3.1 with test server used same commandline with
"-M7 -B6 -P6 -S6 -X6" and also. With those parameters removed I now
see sockstat only shows xmail listening on tcp rather than tcp6 and
this system now accepts external connections.

NetBSD-4.0 on intended new server had same commandline but after
restart with above parameters removed I still get sockstat showing
tcp6 and connection refused except from localhost. With two
previously unconfigured interfaces set to dummy ip4 addresses,
sockstat now shows tcp rather than tcp6 and I can make remote
connections.

So although systems are now working I suspect there is some problem
there with xmail and or NetBSD. Also with default postfix there
wasn't a problem. I disabled xmail and undid the changes to
interfaces and sockstat then showed postscript listening on tcp (not
tcp6) whilst external connections are ok.

cheers

David