On 29 Jan 2008, at 17:07, Davide Libenzi wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jan 2008, David Lord wrote:
>
> > On 20 Jan 2008, at 12:34, Davide Libenzi wrote:
> >
> > > Give me a summary :) Should I look into it or not?
> > >

> > Seems way hostnames are checked is different between NetBSD-4.0
> > (xmail-1.25-pre16) and NetBSD-3.1 (xmail-1.25) or NetBSD-3.1 (xmail
> > 1.25).
> >
> > NetBSD     3.1          3.1          4.0
> > xmail      1.25-pre16   1.25         1.25
> >
> > private A
> > address
> > sendmail      ok         fail         fail
> > recv          ok           ok           ok
> >
> > public MX
> > address
> > xmailrelay    ok           ok         not checked
> > sendmail      ok           ok           ok
> > recv          ok           ok         not checked
> >
> > I have local dns for hosts on lan which also caches public
> > addresses. There are only A records for private addresses.
> > Server.tab has SmarDNSHost set to use local dns server. Mutt
> > and some logging uses /var/MailRoot/bin/sendmail but I could
> > get round part of problem by using postfix instead.
> >
> > Send failures have this form of error
> > [<00>] XMail bounce: [EMAIL PROTECTED];
> > Error=[Recipient domain "p4x2400c.home.lordynet.org"
> > does not exist (or it has a misconfigured DNS)]
> >
> > ###############
> > ; <<>> DiG 9.4.1-P1 <<>> p4x2400c.home.lordynet.org -t ANY
> > ;; global options:  printcmd
> > ;; Got answer:
> > ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 46719
> > ;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2,
> > ADDITIONAL: 2
> >
> > ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> > ;p4x2400c.home.lordynet.org.     IN      ANY
> >
> > ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> > p4x2400c.home.lordynet.org. 604800 IN    A       192.168.59.210
> > ###############
> >
> > I've still to try an earlier version of xmail on NetBSD-4.0 and also
> > try again with ipv6 enabled.
>
> I think XMail is getting a ERR_DNS_NXDOMAIN (NXDOMAIN) from your DNS
> server. When that's happening, XMail does not even try to fall back to the
> A record delivery.

How do I check on that?

I found I'd messed up testing on the NetBSD-3.1 system and outgoing
mail was working from root when checking xmail-1.25-pre16 but I
was logged into a user account when I tried xmail-1.25. This was
giving the error that domain didn't exist.

Today when I tried again with xmail-1.25 but from root account it
worked ok and when I added the user account to /etc/mail/aliases
and ran newaliases (sendmail) outgoing mail was then also working
ok from that user as well.

Now back to NetBSD-4.0.
I'm still unable to get local mail outgoing from NetBSD-4.0
whilst mail to public addresses seems be delivered ok.

The dns server is same for NetBSD-3.1 as for NetBSD-4.0 so I
suspect problem is due to some changes from NetBSD-3.1 with
Sendmail to NetBSD-4.0 with Postscript.

Local mail delivery to other hosts on lan worked ok via
Postscript.

David