Christopher Stone wrote:
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:32:41 +0200, Hans de Goede <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Thanks, thats the clue I needed. If I start directly in fullscreen mode
I have the bug too. Its fixed in CVS now. Please test.

Yep fixed!, kinda.  It will still flash if you run -skip_gameinfo and
I just found another flashing bug.  In gorf, when you start the game,
an LED will light up on the artwork, in DGA fullscreen mode, this LED
has the same flashing bug.

Ok all cases of flashing should be really fixed now! please test.

p.s.

-Is XV fixed now?

Nope, still get:

Initializing video effect black scanlines: bitmap depth = 32, color
format = RGB 888
Unexpected X Error 8: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)

Hmm, wait a minute this doesnot happen when you switch to XV, but when you change effects with XV, right?

I think I've got this fixed now, please test.

If things still fail could you try with -force-yuv 1 ?

-what do you think of the way scale/effect changing is handled now?

I like how the fake scanline effect no longer switches to 1x2, but
doesn't fake scanlines mean you should run in 2x2 instead of 1x1?  I
couldn't notice any difference when running pacman and switching down
to effect 9, but going from effect 9, to effect 8 which switches the
scale to 2x2, then back up to effect 9, you can see the scanline
effect.

Thats correct, but it since it not only works with 2x2 but also with 1x2 I had to make a choice, either not allow using it with 1x2 which could be usefull in some scenarios or live with the scenario that someone switches from 1x1 no effect to 1x1 blackscanlines, which is indeed effectivly the same, or the previous scenario where it could change from 1x1 to 1x2 which is ugly whne doing ctrl+page-down

-any remaining bugs besides the ghost images with the black scanlines
 effect?

The only other thing I've noticed with the effects switching is if it
cant find a suitable modeline (DGA) then it reverts back to the
previous effect mode.  Running pacman with artwork and switching to
scan3 for example causes it to not find a resolution high enough to
support this effect, and it falls back on the previous mode.  This
means you can't cycle past mode 5 unless you cycle backwards.  Would
it make sense to skip effects it can't find a modeline for and try the
next effect instead of falling back to the previous effect?

Good point, won't be easy to fix though, I need to think about this one.

-any remaining inconcistencies in scale/effect changing handling?

effect 9 (fake scanlines) seems to put a fake scanline at the top of
the screen, if you start with mode 9 using no artwork, the top line
shows random pixels.

Fixed now.

I think no effect should switch back to 1x1 as I mentioned above, I'm
not sure if any of the other effects can run in 1x1 mode or not.

The idea behind this:
1) its easier to code this way :)
2) if Pieter finds the time then the effect code should soon be changed so that effects aren't limited to a fixed scale, so smoot scaling could be 2x smooth scaling but also 3x smoothscaling. The end result is that you can change the effect from for example lq3x to hq3x or from lq2x to hq2x, so changing the effect then really should only change the effect and not the scale to the extend that a certain scale is supported by the effect changed to. I hope you understand what I mean?

Regards,

Hans