Julian Sikorski wrote:
Hans de Goede napisał(a):
Julian Sikorski wrote:
Hans de Goede napisał(a):
Julian Sikorski wrote:
Hi. I have some questions about -keepaspect and -displayaspectratio
options. To make the games look like in the arcade, I should use -ka
switch, right? This would mean that games with weird resolutions, e.g.
400x254 (mitwunit) were originally stretched in the arcade, or the
monitors used did not have square pixels.
Correct

Also, do I understand the purpose of -dar switch correctly? Is it used
to tell xmame the shape of pixels on the monitor?
nope, its used to tell xmame the shape of the monitor, so for a normal
montior it would be 4:3=1.33 and for a widescreen 16:9, etc.

Regards,

Hans

Now it is finally clear. So it means that using 1280x1024 on a normal
monitor leads to wrong aspect ratio.

No it doesn't the video code passes the aspect code the actual
resolution being used even something ridiculous like 300x480 should
work, provided that that mode really fills your 4:3 screen and you're
using a video display method which can do hardware scaling.

Regards,

Hans

OK thanks. Now about refresh rate. Some time ago I read the following
retroblast article:
http://www.retroblast.com/articles/winmamemon_1.html
There seems to be plenty of options to fiddle with refresh rates on
windows mame, while I have found only one (-xsync) in xmame. How does
original game refresh rate suffer from this? I am running at 85 Hz if
that matters.

Under unix its impossble to set the refresh rate (not quite true. now a days it can be done using Xrandr, but Xrandr has other issues).

So you're indeed stuck to the refreshrate of the video mode the aspect ratie code chooses when running with DGA, without DGA their is no vsync, so the refresh rate doesn't matter (and you will have tearing).

With DGA the code will show some frames twice when the monitor refresh rate is higher then the games, and drop some frames when vica versa.

Regards,

Hans