On Sun, 23 Sep 2001 16:10:50 +0200, Peter Surda wrote:

> As he also pointed out that hardware automatically does this.
 That depends on the hardware - matrox cards unfortunately don't do this
 automatically.  And I guess if it did, some people would complain about
 it because they want the best possible frame rate. :(

> At least ATI seems to do it when using monitor (but it fsckes up when I use
> tvout). Anyway, I tried getting it working on my ATI with tvout, and I found
> a register in the docs that signals retrace status, however it still doesn't
> mix.
 Maybe I am wrong but I don't think your TV out does need to synch with your
 TV - and I don't know if this is possible at all. As far as I understand it
 those tearing artifacts are caused by  different  frequencies  (your  video
 material is 29.xx fps but your monitor for example runs at 68 Hz)  and  the
 different "formats"  (your monitor is usually a progressive  display  while
 your TV is a interlaced display - I hope I am not  making  a  fool  out  of
 myself and those things I just said were right!). So your TV out should now
 deliver the frames in the right frequency (50Hz for  example)  and  in  the
 right format (interlaced). That should be it. So IMHO your are  looking  at
 the wrong thing to find the cause for your problem...

> I suggest you do what I did:
 Thanks for that! :)

 Yet I think this could cause a bit of trouble.  If  your  system  is  under
 heavy load, you could easily miss the right time.   So the function that is
 responsible for drawing the image waits even longer. On the other hand it's
 a step in the right direction (a quick workaround). :-)

 Now what confuses me is that I thought it isn't possible to get the retrace
 information in user space - just in kernel space. I guess this is only true
 if you want to make use of the hardware interrupt that is being issued (and
 naturally that would be the best solution IMHO).

 But I still think there should be an official way (through the kernel space
 drm drivers for example) to get that information and handle it in the right
 functions (for example  XvPutImage)  by  implementing  an  optional  double
 buffering that is only used if a) retrace information is available  and  b)
 if the programmer explicitly asked for the feature.

> If you are interested on high-quality video watching on mga, you can join
> the avifile mailing list or perhaps even directly ask Zdenek Kabelac or
> A'rpi.
 Thanks for the hint. I have tried avifile some  time  ago  and  was  pretty
 pleased with it. But now XINE has become my player of choice where I'm also
 trying to contribute a bit. :)

Last but not least. Could you please cc your  answers  to  my  mail  address
because I am not subscribed to the Xpert list - just using the archives. :-(

--
So long, Matt   ]) [EMAIL PROTECTED], GPG key available at public keyservers ([