Michel Dänzer wrote:

> > > Yes, only one image can be displayed at a time per port so why bother.
> > How "displayed"? If the image is already on the visible part of the screen,
> > does it magically disappear when you tell the card to do
> > scaling/conversion/drawing into another window? If it did, that would be "a
> > really stupid thing" (TM). Are you sure this "magical disappearance" is caused
> > by card's hardware and not some X obscurity?
>
> Yes, that's hiw an overlay works. May be different for Xv adaptors using
> the texture engine or similar, but I don't think that changes the
> semantics of an Xv port.

Xv currently supports one port which is tied to the hardware as you
mention.  At the moment, one window is programmed for the overlay, and
the implementation only supports one window on hardware which only has
one set of overlay registers.  Thinking about it a little, I suspect it
may be possible to do multiple windows, since overlay usually uses color
keying to determine which portions overlay.  You'd need to merge the
window regions, plus handle overlap of the display data correctly prior
to copying, and then only color key for the displayable regions.  Seems
doable on the S3 Virge series, for example, although we'd have memory
problems if the regions are to big.  There may be other reasons why it's
undesirable...

--
Kevin