> Hi,
>
> I just upgraded from XFree 3.3.6 to 4.1 on my laptop which has a
> Ati Rage Mobility chip.

Which one?

> On 3.3.6, suspend and awake worked fine
> by making the apmd switching to a text console before suspending,
> using the chvt command in the apmd proxy. I'm working with SuSE
> which uses a apmd_proxy script which is called from apmd and does
> all this stuff.
>
> Now, with XFree 4.1, it doesn't work anymore. When I try to suspend
> from X, the screen seems to switch to a console, because it goes black,
> but half a second later it switches back to X and then suspends! Just as
> if there was another "chvt 7" called just before the suspension.
> I traced the apmd proxy script to make sure that the "chvt 1" is indeed
> executed, but I could not find any hint about another chvt which switches
> back to X

I had precisely this issue with various versions of XFree86 & FreeBSD from
January 2001 until recently. I got around it by similar hacks to those ones
you describe (I've got a Mobility M1, aka a Mach64).

However, sometime in the life of XFree 4.1, those hacks became unnecessary,
e.g. something in X was now doing the correct thing. I generally only noticed
this by accident, when upgrading and forgetting to put back the local hacks ;-)

BTW, I upgraded to XFree 4.2 last night, and that too suspends/resumes
perfectly out of the box - as well as apparently working perfectly in all
other respects so far - great job guys!

HTH.

Cheers,

AS