On Thu, 30 May 2002, Doug McClendon wrote:

> I am astounded by the lack of resources (as reported by google)
> available regarding using HDTVs with xfree86.  The only thing I found
> was a post long ago to this list.  The only person who answered said
> "this is a question for nvidia, regarding their tv-out support".

HDTV isn't a big story in my part of the world. The UK seems to have gone
for a "wide-screen" format which is compatible with PAL, and thus nothing
interesting. Maybe the hardware is capable of more, but you are the first
person I've heard suggest that.

> To cut off similar responses:  I'm talking about treating the hdtv as a
> fixed frequency monitor, taking its input from a standard hd15 monitor
> cable (or in my case, potentially via an hd15->yuv converter from audio
> authority).

I guess from his reply Mark V didn't read this bit. :-(
If you are prepared to convert the hd15 signal yourself the TV out limits
don't apply, the HD15 signal on most cards should be plenty fast enough
(I'm typing this at a 6 year old card that would do
2048x1536 @ 60/120Hz interlaced if I had a monitor that could cope).

> for 640x480 provides reasonable output, except that 10-15% of the pixels
> of the top and left of screen are not visible (i.e. off screen).  Now,
> reading the handy video mode timings FAQ, it suggests that in such a
> case you move to a higher dot clock.  Personally I don't want to
> endanger my (brothers) hdtv.  Playing around with a multisync monitor,
> just jacking up the dotclock number in the modeline also ends up
> increasing the vertrefresh, which I'm _guessing_ could be a bad thing on
> the hdtv, which I'm _guessing_ is probably only going to be happy at 60hz.

I've seen widescreen TVs in the UK advertising 100Hz images to reduce
flicker, so they much be reprocessing the image somehow.
I'd _guess_ that most (all?) HDTVs are digital (like most monitors now),
and that the logic cuts out the picture if you give them a signal they
don't like. While I don't take responsibility, I'd be prepared to try
from a good mode into one under test, and then back again if things
don't look good.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison         Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna