James H. Cloos Jr. wrote:

 >Doug> I am astounded by the lack of resources (as reported by google)
 >Doug> available regarding using HDTVs with xfree86.
 >
 >Doug> I'm talking about treating the hdtv as a fixed frequency
 >Doug> monitor, taking its input from a standard hd15 monitor cable (or
 >Doug> in my case, potentially via an hd15->yuv converter from audio
 >Doug> authority).
 >
 >I'd grab one of the modeline generating scripts and try out some.  If
 >your tv supports 1080p (many do for the benefit of dvd players, &c),
 >I'd try 1920x1080x60 modes.  But I suspect you'll have to test some
 >before finding the exact horizontal timing and necessary make/break
 >ratios for a stable picture.

Ok, so it sounds like I'll have to figure out the modeline myself.  I'm
still pretty amazed that there aren't more reports of people doing this
already.

Regarding 1080p for dvd, I think you are mistaken.  My (only moderately
educated) understanding was that the 'good' dvd players put out 480p
instead of 480i(ntsc).  I also don't think that there is any tv out
there that does 1080p.  The two hdtv standards are 1080i and 720p to my
knowlege.  The TV I'm interested in does 1080i, which I assume means
that it can also do 540p.  Ideally I'm looking for a good 640x480@60
modeline, and a 1920x540@60 modeline.  1920x1080i would be interesting
to try, but since this is about using the tv as a big monitor, I'm
really not interested in interlacing.

Out of curiosity- Does anybody have any advice regarding fonts or any
other tricks when you have severely non square pixels (1920x540)?  It
seems like it would be a nice feature of the X server to handle such
issues transparently.  I doubt there is anything now, but how far are we
from an X server based on 3D hardware, i.e. a nice 5Kx5K non visible
desktop that gets rendered with a bilinear filter to whatever resolution
the desktop actually is?  That would
take care of generic anti-aliasing (fonts and more) quite nicely no?
  Zoomable windows...

-dmc