Doug> I am astounded by the lack of resources (as reported by google)
Doug> available regarding using HDTVs with xfree86.

Doug> I'm talking about treating the hdtv as a fixed frequency
Doug> monitor, taking its input from a standard hd15 monitor cable (or
Doug> in my case, potentially via an hd15->yuv converter from audio
Doug> authority).

I'd grab one of the modeline generating scripts and try out some.  If
your tv supports 1080p (many do for the benefit of dvd players, &c),
I'd try 1920x1080x60 modes.  But I suspect you'll have to test some
before finding the exact horizontal timing and necessary make/break
ratios for a stable picture.

You might be able to get some data from the manufacturer on what
inputs are supported.  They probably hide more complete specs
somewhere on their sites.

-JimC