On Tue, 2002-07-09 at 04:54, Dr Andrew C Aitchison wrote:
> On 9 Jul 2002, Ed Sweetman wrote:
>
> > http://signal-lost.homeip.net/xconfig
> > http://signal-lost.homeip.net/16bpp.log
> > http://signal-lost.homeip.net/32bpp.log
> >
> > I start X with `xinit -- -dpi 100`
> >
> > from what Keith said it doesn't matter what resolution i'm on, Render
> > can create an "alpha" layer as long as depth is not smaller than bpp.
>
> Mostly true, but render appears not to be implemented on the 8+24 overlay
> mode (at least on the mga driver, I haven't tried the few other drivers
> which support 2D overlays (not video overlays)).
>
> > I wasn't complaining, merely asking if I'd get alpha blending features
> > from Render without being at 32 because of the message you've read in my
> > 32bpp.log file.
>
> Sorry I was a bit unfriendly, I hadn't thought of ISPs swallowing your
> replies... I'm a bit defensive about the mga driver since I've been
> working on it for about 6 years.
>
> As Keith said, nothing supports depth 32 yet (although I'm looking
> to see if I can add it to the mga driver).
> xinit -- -dpi 100 -fbpp 32 would give you a framebuffer with 32bit
> pixels but Render wouldn't see the extra bits.

setting defaultfbbpp to 32 and defaultdepth to 24 works...for whatever
good that is.   I guess it's nice to have the extra colors. heh.   It
seems to eat up quite a lot of memory seeing as how the XAA tile cache
is quite a bit smaller than it's previous 32 32 16  ( now it's 32 14 5).
Thanks for your help.   by the way, what's the status of parhelia with
X?