On 9 Jul 2002, Ed Sweetman wrote:

> http://signal-lost.homeip.net/xconfig
> http://signal-lost.homeip.net/16bpp.log
> http://signal-lost.homeip.net/32bpp.log
>
> I start X with `xinit -- -dpi 100`
>
> from what Keith said it doesn't matter what resolution i'm on, Render
> can create an "alpha" layer as long as depth is not smaller than bpp.

Mostly true, but render appears not to be implemented on the 8+24 overlay
mode (at least on the mga driver, I haven't tried the few other drivers
which support 2D overlays (not video overlays)).

> I wasn't complaining, merely asking if I'd get alpha blending features
> from Render without being at 32 because of the message you've read in my
> 32bpp.log file.

Sorry I was a bit unfriendly, I hadn't thought of ISPs swallowing your
replies... I'm a bit defensive about the mga driver since I've been
working on it for about 6 years.

As Keith said, nothing supports depth 32 yet (although I'm looking
to see if I can add it to the mga driver).
xinit -- -dpi 100 -fbpp 32 would give you a framebuffer with 32bit
pixels but Render wouldn't see the extra bits.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison         Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna