> 1. XFree is far too slow.

I don't know what your terms of comparison are, but for example "return
to castle wolfenstein" on same hardware runs really faster than on
windows, with maximum settings. Dunno if this means anything.

> 2. What is presented on the screen should always be consistent (i.e.
> no flickering).

It is already?

> (3. It should be possible to configure XFree over a dialog that is
> intergrated in Gnome and Kde.)

Someone should write it. Indeed I think there are: I personally use
debian, but Mandrake, Suse and RedHat users continuously say that their
distribution can do everything graphically.

> I think the reason for
> that is that XFree is far more complex than necessary for its intended
> job.

I think that this complexity allows me to run two X server on two 486, a
font server on pentium and applications on an athlon. No other windowing
system can do this AFAIK.

> But I guess that less than 5% of the XFree
> users are actually using this feature

But it happens they use it. And anyone who has two computer connected
with ethernet and some kind of unix has needed this sometimes.

> and there are already other
> solutions like VNC available.

Which is based on the xfree86 architecture AFAIK.

> Another source of complexity comes from
> the ancient, more than 10 years old X API. Many people argue that one
> just has to add new extensions to keep XFree up to date. But this way
> X gets more and more complex.

It's not true. You just learn what you need.

> What I want to
> suggest is to start from scratch and design a new, clean and modern
> windowing system without any legacy.

There are already. Go and see berlin, for example, or microwindows, or
directfb, which appears one of the coolest. There are really MANY
others. Have a look on google, you'll find'em. I don't see the point:
this is the xfree86 project, why should they change everything? Then it
would be another project.

> I personally don't see any alternative to overcome
> the current problems of XFree.

I don't see real problems in XFree, and think that one of the best
features of X is the networking capabilities. Indeed, have a look to how
easy is to have xinerama on two different video cards. Do this with
windows or macos. It's hard, if not impossible at all.

> The main problem with a new graphics API would be to keep backward
> compatibility with the current application base. But this problem is
> easy to solve by just porting XFree to the new API, the way it is done
> for OS X and Windows.

It's already planned for MANY other windowing system. By now, I think
that X cannot get out of some of its limitations, but its implemented
features are what many people needs. Those who can't bear the
limitations, should join one of the existing projects, but he/she will
realize that the first thing he/she'll be missing will be ... X, and
that mantaining backward compatibility is a challenge.

Sorry for my bad english, and hope to have clarified your ideas a bit :)

> Cheers
> Lukas

Bye

Vincenzo