On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, Nick Name wrote:

>Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 02:22:37 +0200
>From: Nick Name <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: Is the XFree development stuck in a dead end?
>
>On 15 Jul 2002 01:56:41 +0200
>Xavier Bestel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>  Is that a joke ? Did you ever try to set up a second gfx card and
>>  monitor under Mac OS ? It's a breeze, just point'n'click. Whereas in
>>  X, you have to hunt for the Xinerama HOWTO and mess with the config
>>  file.
>>

>Ok, sorry. I just made THE mistake: speaking 'bout what I don't know.
>Sorry.
>
>But really, I've tried to simply install a second video card, different
>from the first, in win98. Freeze. Stop. No way, I had to remove the
>card, and manually remove the driver... still I can't remember how I got
>out of that mess.
>
>In the same period, with X, I could do everything I want, even get two
>3d games running at the same time, one on a matrox, and another on a
>s3/3dfx pair... simple: use two X servers :)

For this example, I'd have to say it is not really too relevant
because just as many people are likely to have had the reverse
happen, where it "just worked" in Windows, and it "was a big pain
in the ass" in XFree86/Linux et al.

I've personally experienced both depending on the hardware.
Getting an i740 working in Linux a couple years back took 20
minutes, while getting it working in Windows involved
reinstalling the OS, installing USB support in Windows 95 to get
some random DLL, flashing my BIOS, then installing about 7 things
in a particular order.  I had to reinstall Windows twice actually
because I screwed up on step.

I've had the reverse experience with other hardware, where it
worked great in Windows and sucked in Linux and was a pain in the
ass to get working (if it worked at all).

Same goes for configuration of various hardware.  Sometimes it is
straightforward, other times it is not.  It depends on so many
different variables, there is no one best system or one best
solution.  And what works great for one person, may work crappy
for another depending on hardware combinations, etc.

--
Mike A. Harris                  Shipping/mailing address:
OS Systems Engineer             190 Pittsburgh Ave., Sault Ste. Marie,