On 15 Jul 2002, Xavier Bestel wrote:

>Date: 15 Jul 2002 01:56:41 +0200
>From: Xavier Bestel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: Is the XFree development stuck in a dead end?
>
>Le lun 15/07/2002 à 01:39, Nick Name a écrit :
>
>> > (3. It should be possible to configure XFree over a dialog that is
>> > intergrated in Gnome and Kde.)
>>
>> Someone should write it. Indeed I think there are: I personally use
>> debian, but Mandrake, Suse and RedHat users continuously say that their
>> distribution can do everything graphically.
>
>Better yet, XFree shouldn't need configuration at all with modern
>hardware: config is just needed for some old un-probable chips, and some
>settings such as resolution, depth, etc. (which should be settable on
>the fly, BTW)

That is true in many aspects, and XFree86 is definitely headed
more in that direction.  It does not happen overnight however.
The issue is really manpower, and developers interested in
volunteering to do the work, or companies who want feature foo
implemented funding development of foo.

>> > I personally don't see any alternative to overcome
>> > the current problems of XFree.
>>
>> I don't see real problems in XFree, and think that one of the best
>> features of X is the networking capabilities. Indeed, have a look to how
>> easy is to have xinerama on two different video cards. Do this with
>> windows or macos. It's hard, if not impossible at all.
>
>Is that a joke ? Did you ever try to set up a second gfx card and
>monitor under Mac OS ? It's a breeze, just point'n'click. Whereas in X,
>you have to hunt for the Xinerama HOWTO and mess with the config file.

xf86cfg has multihead configuration built in, although it isn't
what I personally consider user friendly.  This is something that
will become more friendly in the future though as multihead
becomes much more popular.

--
Mike A. Harris                  Shipping/mailing address:
OS Systems Engineer             190 Pittsburgh Ave., Sault Ste. Marie,