On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 05:10:26PM +0930, Adam Luchjenbroers wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Oct 2002 02:01 pm, Keith Packard wrote:
> > My hope is that the configuration file becomes entirely optional. There's
> > essentially nothing there which can't be autodetected on a reasonable
> > system.
> >
> > At that point, the format of the file is moot.
>
> It has to be editable for those who still use a config file (custom settings,
> modelines, etc) and personally I think the current format is quite nice for
> hand-editing. What I've seen of XML doesn't have that quality.

Agreed big time.  The current format is great for cranking out configs
for hardware that I don't have on hand.  For example, a friend once
needed a CVS version of XFree86 but had never built it.  I was able to
crank out a config for him and he could then build pretty painlessly.

--
Ross Vandegrift
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

A Pope has a Water Cannon.                               It is a Water Cannon.
He fires Holy-Water from it.                        It is a Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses it.                                 It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses the Hell out of it.          It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He has it pierced.                It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
Batman and Robin arrive.                                       He shoots them.